Welcome Family and Friends

Many of you have shared that with the distance between us you miss being a part of our family. This blog is a way for us to reach out and share a bit of our daily life with you. We realize that it is not the same as face-to-face relationships, but we hope it will bridge the gap between our visits with you and your families.

26 May 2009

Morning Glories in the Land of Night Owls

6 internal stitches and 13 external put Elias' face back together again.

Well, around 8:10 p.m. last night as we were getting Elias ready for bed, an incident occurred.  Lynnette was in the bathroom and I was upstairs as Elias came down the upper staircase to the landing to head into the bathroom and finish brushing his teeth.  All we know is that there was a whump! followed by screaming and lots of blood.  Lynnette immediately grabbed a washcloth, screaming for me, and put pressure on the wound.  I tried to calm her down and mop up a little of the blood, thinking all the red might be adding to everyone's hysterics.  Then we looked at the wound and saw a gaping hole over an inch long, over half an inch wide and at least as deep.
2 minutes later we were out the door with Gwendolyn in her carrier, my mom on her way to meet us at the hospital, and two pairs of my shoes on our feet, one for me and one for Lynnette. It was surely a record departure for us, even if our wardrobe somewhat suffered for it.
So it was his first car ride in the front seat.  I conveniently forgot which roads take us straight to the hospital. 
(Lynnette writing now) 
We were at our local Emergency Rooom from 8:30pm to about 11pm and then after a short stop off at the house so I could change into something without blood on it and some diapers ( which didn't make it on our first trip to the EM) we headed to the Springs for their EM. From 12am to 6:30am we forced ourselves to stay away while we waited, waited and waited some more and finally got Elias stitched up and waited for him to wake back up. I tell you he has never watched so many cartoons! Jonathan and Ms. Marcia kept each other awake on the hour ride home and thankfully at 8:30am we laid our heads on much missed pillows. Only to awake two hours later. Oh... parenthood. We used to choose to do all nighters! 
Elias is doing well. We have our instructions and Monday we have an appointment to get his stitches out. We will let you know how everything goes. 

We hope for no major scarring but I think they said in 6 to 12 months we should know if anything else needs to be done. ( or was I dreaming this.. who knows. ) 


3 comments:

  1. this actually made me tear up...seeing his poor little face...I'm glad he's okay and he'll have a great story to tell one day. Can you believe none of my four have had stitches yet? Although a friend's little girl fell out of our second story window and broke her arm...but that's another story... :) Love you Elias!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought back memories for me of the day Dillon sliced his chin and needed stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. I'm so sorry! I'm glad he's alright! Give him a kiss for me!

    ReplyDelete